Unable to install bootloader on software raid

After two of my hard disks failed, I decided to use a software raid in future and tried to install Debian Testing on the raid.  The configuration of the raid and software installation went well until I tried to install the bootloader.  Both Grub and Lilo refused to install.

If it is not possible to install Grub or Lilo onto a software raid, why is the option available in Grub?

I have seen several efforts to solve this problem on the internet, but none of them worked for me.

What is the way to install Debian onto a software raid?

Regards
Johann

--
Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)