Re: 9p/plumber to replace D-Bus?

On 12/11/2014 02:02 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Wednesday 10 December 2014 18:08:00 Martin Read wrote:
On 10/12/14 13:26, Marty wrote:
> The industry and its plans for FOSS is strongly anti-choice:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-January/msg00861.h
>tml

It appears to me that you have missed a point which seems to be implied
by Lisi's choice of selective quotes.

It was certainly intended to be!

On the one hand, you say "I would even deign to give users a choice in
the matter", and on the other you suggest making functionality that real
people are using on real computers "go away".

Quite.  "Choice" means "everyone must have what I want";

I think there's a group at Red Hat meeting that description. Choice for
them means, they choose, you follow. Apple, the leading vendor (I think
now having supplanted M$) leads the way, showing how it's all done on
a foundation of FOSS, and the world takes notice.

The "systemd manifesto" makes no mention of freedom or use choice.
Philosophy and ideology just get in the way. What's left is politics,
and marketing.

 not "everyone must be
able to choose".

It was choice the brought an entire generation of users to Linux and
started the distributions, often with great expenditure of personal time
and effort. Some of us are still willing to advocate for choice as a
core principle

Infinite choice is in the end not possible.  But let us at least try to be
honest and avoid hypocrisy.

It was supposed to be a joke, so let's also not try to twist the issues
beyond recognition. There's really no good answer for anyone with contempt for user choice who makes a mock defense to press a point.
So yes, please he honest.

Lisi

By all means, embark on your endeavour in creating alternatives to
D-Bus. Just remember that to be a convincing alternative, it has to
solve *at least* the same set of problems.