Re: 9p/plumber to replace D-Bus?

On 12/08/2014 09:12 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Monday 08 December 2014 13:18:18 Marty wrote:
 I would even deign to
give users a choice in the matter,
[snip]
Multi-seat PC and other
anachronisms probably have to go away.

Choice???

Lisi

The industry and its plans for FOSS is strongly anti-choice:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-January/msg00861.html

I'm looking for a solution to that, not make it worse.

This biggest issues I see at this point are non-technical, some
political, some based on ignorance of the history of the
computer industry and all of the fundamental technical issues
surrounding it. I consider debian-user to have a better than
average grasp of technical issues, but the confusion surrounding the
systemd debate shrouded the issues here too, as it did elsewhere.

People who are happy with their computer environments and don't see
the issues and trends as problematic in any way, have my respect, even
envy at this moment. I feel the same way as I did when RMS announced GNU
and remember trying to decide how or if this will ever affect me, while
listening to the "lively" office debates it inspired. It saw it as
something that might even work. This time, I don't see a solution, a way
forward, and that worries me. It's like the GNU announcement in reverse.

Protecting Debian modularity and the Debian ports is a big issue that
probably should not be left to package maintainers and the Technical
Committee. It's their job, in a sense, but recent events prove that can't do it alone, and they (we users, Debian) are competing against
paid devs and industrial development. I wish I had the answer, and I
wish even there was consensus that this problem ever exists.