Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On 12/10/2014 at 10:12 AM, Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 09:42:43AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 12/10/2014 at 06:10 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

>>> That would be easy to implement, assuming you computer "knows"
>>> it's running on batteries.
>>
>> On batteries is easy enough, for a laptop-style system.
>>
>> But for a more ordinary desktop (or server), running on a UPS, how
>> is it supposed to know that it is on battery-based power?
>>
>> It's plugged in through an ordinary power cable, with no other
>> connection to the power source. What indication is it supposed to
>> have that the power source at the other end of that cable is any
>> different from a standard wall outlet?
>>
>> I imagine that this might be one of the things the "USB cable from
>> the UPS" is intended to address, but I don't think my own UPS (for
>> example) includes any USB port, despite being a fairly high-end
>> unit. (And off the top of my head I don't know of any software to
>> handle that in Debian.)
>
> NUT and APCUPSd are the most obvious solution

Yeah, I figured there would be software for the purpose which I didn't
specifically know about.

At a glance, however, both of those look like they still require a USB
connection... and my (APC) UPS doesn't seem to have a USB port. It does
have a network port, so I imagine that maybe I could get things working
with a network cable to the house switch, but that seems like a clunky
and unwieldy sort of solution at best.

--
   The Wanderer