Re: Replacing systemd in Jessie

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014, Don Armstrong wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Nov 2014, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > Now the strange thing: I've done some research, and it seems that
> > all the init replacement procedures start with first replacing
> > systemd with sysvinit, then proceeding with replacing sysvinit with
> > the desired init. Anyone have info or instructions to the contrary?
>
> If you want upstart, you can just install upstart instead of
> sysvinit-core.

I wasn't aware of this.  But I decided against upstart early in my
research.  So, my reading on it was rather limited.

> > I'm concerned specifically with runit.
>
> Runit is not configured to be directly replaced without manual
> intervention. Install sysvinit-core or whatever, then run the manual
> configuration to run runit as /sbin/init.

This I was aware of.  Just hoped runit could directly replace systemd
even with manual configuration without first installing sysvinit-core.
Trying to avoid all those sysv scripts being installed.

Thanks for your response.