Replacing systemd in Jessie

It seems systemd cannot not be installed in Jessie.  It can only be replaced once first installed unless one wishes to create a custom CD with another init.  I don't.  Even preseeding won't accomplish this.  Recommended preseeding procedures I've seen just automate the replacement process.

Now the strange thing:  I've done some research, and it seems that all the init replacement procedures start with first replacing systemd with sysvinit, then proceeding with replacing sysvinit with the desired init.  Anyone have info or instructions to the contrary? I'd like to be able to just install the desired init without an intermediate step.

I'm concerned specifically with runit.

Thanks.