Re: Partitioning gpt disk

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 09:53:14PM -0800, Rusi Mody wrote:
> Trying to setup linux on lenovo laptop.
> I find that its gpt as expected and there are some 5 partitions
> (as shown by compmgmt in windows)
>
> | recovery      | 1G   |
> | EFI           | 260M |
> | OEM           | 1G   |
> | Windows8 (C:) | 424G |
> | Lenovo   (D:) | 25G  |
> | Recovery      | 14G  |
>
> Clearly its the windows (C:) that needs to be shrunk for the linux.
>
> Q.1  In the past (mbr) Ive invaribly found that adding a partition
> in the middle causes all sorts of trouble.
>
> How is it with gpt?

With GPT, all partitions are equal members - that is, the whole
Primary/Extended/Logical mess is gone; a partition is a partition. That
being the case, you shouldn't have any problems shrinking C: and putting
Linux in the middle. If this is a traditional ("spinning rust") disk,
then you probably want to consider sliding D: up against the shrunk C:,
though, just to minimise head seek while in Windows (that is, if you're
reading files from both C: and D:, then not having to hop over the Linux
partition will make seek times shorter).

> Q.2 There are some stories that modern disks need stricter alignment
> restrictions than the classic 512 byte block
> eg http://askubuntu.com/questions/314262/partition-alignment-confusion
>
> Whats the current 'best-practice' for optimal alignment of partitions?
> [Given that windows seems to be more uptodate than parted on this
> I am assuming that making all partitions in windows and then installing
> linux should be foolproof.  However its a bit of a headache
> jumping between windows and linux
> ]

Yes, there was a time when everyone used 512byte blocks. But now some
HDDs use 4096 blocks and SSDs use a variety of "erase blocks" (that is,
they'll report 512 byte blocks, but the underlying flash memory will be
in several-kilobyte pages). As a result, the current best practice is to
align on megabyte boundaries. You may end up with a little bit of wasted
space but on your disk you'd waste, at most, around 0.01% (8MB out of
500Gb).