Fetchmail; continually losing authentication with gmx.net

List, good evening,

We use Fetchmail to collect email from various addresses and providers. The incoming mail is passed to Exim for delivery to mailboxes, and served to local MUAs on the network using IMAP provided by Dovecot. We've had this architecture in place since Debian Etch (D4) and it is (still) working well. We are updating our network to run those same applications on a new box with Wheezy, and we are testing this at the moment. For testing purposes, we have set Fetchmail on both machines (the live Etch system, and the trial Wheezy system) to 'keep' the POP3 mail on the ISP servers, and not flush the downloaded mails. This way, we can be sure that both machines will 'see' the same mail, and we can check everything is working on the new machine. It isn't.

The new Wheezy system uses Fetchmail 6.3.21-4, and we are using the exact fetchmailrc from the Etch system (Fetchmail 6.3.6-1etch2). The usernames and passwords are in the fetchmailrc file. One of our POP3 providers is gmx.net, though we do not actively use that address so much, and the traffic is low. We've noticed that Fetchmail on the new Wheezy system isn't seeing most of the gmx.net email. This is because, though it initially connects at each poll, presents the password, and receives the mail, after a few polls, it seems to fail the authorisation. (I'm not sure why, yet.) Fetchmail logs the poll and reports authorisation failure. It never re-establishes authorisation on successive polls. It does successfully download mails from gmx.net after this, when I restart Fetchmail:

# /etc/init.d/fetchmail stop
# /etc/init.d/fetchmail start

The live Etch machine is reporting no authorisation problems, and sees all the gmx.net mail.

I've looked through the man fetchmail pages and I'd like to get some extra logging but I can't seem to pass the -vv parameter to fetchmail. Fetchmail starts as a daemon, and I can stop it and start it again, but

# /etc/init.d/fetchmail start -vv

doesn't seem to have any effect.

Is there a way I could restart fetchmail as if it had been invoked as 'fetchmail -vv'? With the extra logging I am hoping it will say why the authorisation is failing.

Grateful for any advice,

regards, Ron