Re: Purging a package...............

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 15:11:56 -0700 Bob Proulx sent:

> Charlie wrote:
> > In a different email, under the heading: Re: Installing an
> > Alternative Init? Andrei posted this in part:
> >
> > [quote] A package not properly cleaning after itself on purge is
> > generally considered a bug in Debian, severity depending on the
> > impact, of course. [end quote]
> >
> > I suppose this is literal, just that package?
>
> Yes.  Just that package.  Not the package dependencies.  Because there
> is the APT "autoremove" functionality for that purpose.
>
> > Because I have install a package which also pulled in some
> > dependencies.
> >
> > Upon purging it, because it didn't suit the purpose of what I
> > wanted to do. It purged itself, but left the dependencies on the
> > system.
>
> That is expected.  Because when you purged that package the tool
> doesn't know if you were going to install an alternative tool or a
> different version of that tool or something different.  It shouldn't
> remove the dependencies recursively.  Again there are other tools for
> doing recursive removals.  See "orphaner" in the 'deborphan' package
> for example.  Although I think "apt-get autoremove --purge" is the
> main example these days.
>
> > I can only suppose this is what is supposed to happen? I
> > backtracked and found them, purging each in turn.
> >
> > I also suppose this is what's supposed to happen?
> >
> > Or is there some command using apt-get that allows me to purge a
> > package and the dependencies it pulled in as well?
>
> That or run this:
>
>   apt-get autoremove --purge
>
> The above is my normal course of action.
>
> > Just curious and trying to learn a bit more.
>
> Read the man page for apt-mark for more information about how this
> works.  That command is relatively new in Wheezy.  Previously there
> was some of the functionality (hold/install) directly in dpkg.  That
> plus whether a package was installed manually or installed as a
> dependency has had an interface to that information made available
> through the apt-mark command.  You can see the list of packages
> automatically installed with "apt-mark showauto".  You can directly
> manipulate the state using that command too.
>
> The idea is that if the package that pulled in packages is removed
> then you can run apt-get autoremove to remove the dependencies too.
> It is up to you to know that if you want them purged you can add the
> --purge option.  I have good backups plus I use etckeeper so I am
> confident of simply purging /etc files and therefore mostly purge
> packages.  That avoids a lot of interaction bugs such as some of the
> well known problems with PHP having config to load libraries that have
> been removed.  If it were purged then the config would have been
> removed too and no problem would have been noticed.  That is just one
> example.  Therefore it is good to keep the system clean of "rc" state
> things.  The deborphan command can help there too.
>
>   dpkg -l | grep ^rc

> [...]

Thank you Reco, Bob for your comprehensive answer, and Songbird. Now I
understand more fully what is happening and what is required.

Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say: Today itself's too
	late; the wise lived yesterday. ____Martial