Re: Purging a package...............

 Hi.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 08:22:29 +1100
Charlie <ariestao@ipstarmail.com.au> wrote:

> In a different email, under the heading: Re: Installing an Alternative
> Init? Andrei posted this in part:
>
> [quote] A package not properly cleaning after itself on purge is
> generally considered a bug in Debian, severity depending on the impact,
> of course. [end quote]
>
> I suppose this is literal, just that package?

Yup. You should be able to remove every package installed, unless it's
marked 'Essential'. You can remove those too, yet you'll likely (*very*)
break your system.

And if you're unable to remove a package using apt or aptitude - that's
a bug. Both apt and aptitude can leave package's dependencies in place
if asked to do so, and that's not a bug.

> Because I have install a package which also pulled in some
> dependencies.
>
> Upon purging it, because it didn't suit the purpose of what I wanted to
> do. It purged itself, but left the dependencies on the system.

And the tool you've used for this was?

> I can only suppose this is what is supposed to happen? I backtracked and
> found them, purging each in turn.
>
> I also suppose this is what's supposed to happen?

Depends on the tool. And its invocation.

> Or is there some command using apt-get that allows me to purge a
> package and the dependencies it pulled in as well?

This should do the trick:

apt-get autoremove --purge <package_here>

Unless, of course, some of package's dependencies are considered
special, and marked as manually-installed by apt (see #719417).
In the last case you'll likely want to install and use deborphan.

Reco