Re: replacing boot and only disk drive

On 11/23/2014 12:03 PM, Doug wrote:
Yes, grub can boot Windows _just fine_ if Windows is bootable. Windows wants to be "activated" and I found that GParted's activation does not suffice.That's
why I mentioned obtaining a program to activate Windows. If you only have
one computer, you should get that before you mess around.
(I don't pretend to know why this happens, only that it does. That's why there
are programs available to take care of that problem.)

--doug

Windows activation is a separate issue, but I'm assuming you meant...
Windows needs to be on the active partition.

Setting the partition flag to bootable/active in gparted works fine for this.
It's the PBR (Partition Boot Record) that is the issue.

If I remember correctly using the copy/paste feature in gparted to copy the
partition to the new drive will copy the PBR, if someone knows different
please correct me.

If you need to write a new PBR.

Booting off the XP install disk, going to the recovery console and using the
fixboot command will write a new PBR.

Booting from Vista or Windows 7 install disk, going into the recovery tools,
command prompt, and using the bootsect command also works

bootsect /?

for a list of options. Bootsect has an option for writing an XP compatible PBR.

Later, Seeker