Re: replacing boot and only disk drive

On 11/22/2014 11:38 PM, Joel Roth wrote:
On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 11:29:20PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

/snip/

If you use UUIDs instead of /dev/sd??, you avoid the
issue of locations changing.

If the new /dev/sda drive has GRUB in the MBR, I  believe
you should be able to boot from the command line in any
case.

Grub can boot Windows just fine.

regards,

Joel

What are the gotchas that are easy to get wrong in an operation like this?

-- hendrik

Yes, grub can boot Windows _just fine_ if Windows is bootable. Windows wants
to be "activated" and I found that GParted's activation does not suffice.That's
why I mentioned obtaining a program to activate Windows. If you only have
one computer, you should get that before you mess around.
(I don't pretend to know why this happens, only that it does. That's why there
are programs available to take care of that problem.)

--doug