Re: Q: wheezy: how to increase X resolution?

"D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com> writes:

> lee wrote on 11/20/2014 04:36 PM:
>> "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I just installed wheezy on a new system, and no matter what I have tried, I am
>>> unable to get the attached monitor to display at 1920x1200. All my other
>>> systems display at that resolution when attached to the same monitor.
>>>
>>> I won't bore you with all the things I've tried without success. (At least, I
>>> won't bore you yet.)
>>>
>>> The Xorg.0.log file can be viewed at:
>>>   https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18494055/Xorg.0.log
>>

>> [    10.610] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module ast
>> [    10.610] (II) UnloadModule: "ast"
>> [    10.610] (II) Unloading ast
>> [    10.610] (EE) Failed to load module "ast" (module does not exist, 0)
>> [    10.610] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
>> [    10.610] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
>>

>> The module you're asking for isn't loaded for some reason.
>
> Yes, I realise that (see the very first e-mail in the thread, just after the
> part you quoted).

Sorry, I thought that this had been overlooked.

> How can I find out what the reason is?

It seems that the xserver tries to load or does load the module when
you're using an Xorg.conf and then crashes.  When you don't load the ast
module, the xserver doesn't crash.

What does 'file /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ast_drv.so' say?  And what
does 'file' say about 'ast_drv.la'?

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.