Q: wheezy: how to increase X resolution?

I just installed wheezy on a new system, and no matter what I have tried, I am
unable to get the attached monitor to display at 1920x1200. All my other
systems display at that resolution when attached to the same monitor.

I won't bore you with all the things I've tried without success. (At least, I
won't bore you yet.)

The Xorg.0.log file can be viewed at:
  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18494055/Xorg.0.log

I note the error to load ast; I suspect that that might be important, but I
don't know how to fix it.

I tried to create an Xorg.conf file so I would have a measure of control over
what's happening, but that fails with the messages at:
  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18494055/config.txt

I see that "ast" is listed as an available video driver; so I don't understand
why the Xorg.0.log file says it's unable to be loaded.

The driver identifies itself at boot time as ASPEED 08.00.0; I have checked
with the motherboard manufacturer's site, and this is the current version. The
documentation explicitly says that wheezy 7.7 is supported.

Any help much appreciated. I am pretty much at a brick wall at this point.

  Doc Evans

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR