Re: Q: wheezy: how to increase X resolution?

On Jo, 20 nov 14, 12:05:11, D. R. Evans wrote:
> I just installed wheezy on a new system, and no matter what I have tried, I am
> unable to get the attached monitor to display at 1920x1200. All my other
> systems display at that resolution when attached to the same monitor.
>
> I won't bore you with all the things I've tried without success. (At least, I
> won't bore you yet.)

But please do, unless you want us to run the same blind alleys.

> The Xorg.0.log file can be viewed at:
>   https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18494055/Xorg.0.log
>
> I note the error to load ast; I suspect that that might be important, but I
> don't know how to fix it.
>
> I tried to create an Xorg.conf file so I would have a measure of control over
> what's happening, but that fails with the messages at:
>   https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18494055/config.txt
>
> I see that "ast" is listed as an available video driver; so I don't understand
> why the Xorg.0.log file says it's unable to be loaded.

As far as I can tell Xorg expects a file
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ast_drv.so. Does it exit?

> The driver identifies itself at boot time as ASPEED 08.00.0; I have checked
> with the motherboard manufacturer's site, and this is the current version. The
> documentation explicitly says that wheezy 7.7 is supported.

Please be so kind to provide us with more information about your video
adapter and this 'ast' driver. The "PCI:" line in your Xorg.0.log is not
very informative :-/

Kind regards,
Andrei