rather OT - was - Re: Latin "joke", was Re: running two CPU's in parallel with e.g. Beowulf in the same box.....

On 19/11/2014, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 November 2014 21:02:53 Michael Fothergill wrote:
>> I also tried translating the Latin expression I made back into English to
>> check whether it would help anyone interested to "get" the joke....
>>
>> But I noticed that google translate rendered it in English as: "Time
>> flies,
>> whereas the Latin still sucks."
>
> Not a bad translation, in fact, but the grammar is a bit of a mess.  It is
> (the) Latin men you have sucking, not the language, and you have more than
> one of them so they should suck not sucks.  (Latini is plural and sugit is
> singular.)
>
> I love linguistic discussions, so bring on the disagreements - but they
> would
> be rather OT.
>
> Lisi

The problem with trying to create pig-Latin proverbs (like "nil
desperandum illegitimos carborandum", etc, etc, etc), is that, from my
little experience with it, Latin is a complicated and rule-bound
language, with its cases and tenses (as opposed to tentses in cases)
and genders and such, and if someone actually knows correct Latin, I
believe it would become too tempting a target.

Interesting that the allusion to awk and sed, missed the mark, on this list...

:)

--
Bret Busby
Armadale