Re: the developers have spoken

Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 20/11/14 10:16, Brian wrote:
On Wed 19 Nov 2014 at 16:14:46 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:

Brian wrote:
On Wed 19 Nov 2014 at 12:41:45 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:

Jonathan Dowland wrote:
On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 03:25:24AM +1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
No, not necessarily.  For many, it means that Debian Linux is dying
and will soon be dead -- or rather, no longer relevant.  I just hope
that the alternative in FreeBSD works out.
I encourage you to find out sooner, rather than later, but please don't
trouble to tell us whether it does or not.

Please DO report back.  Some of us really do want to know the state
of alternatives.
Apart from using your own resources to explore alternatives you will find
the experts at

    http://www.freelists.org/list/modular-debian

The list is tailored exactly to your needs and the needs of others with
similar thinking. They are actively seeking recruits. I am confident you
will be welcomed into a congenial coterie of like-minded people where
discussion of other operating systems is always on the agenda.

The vast majority on debian-user see this list as being for the support
of users who *use* Debian and not a talking shop about it. Encouragement
to pervert its purpose is little short of bad manners, no matter how
interesting a small number may find the topic. Please be considerate.

Ummm.... quite a few of us ARE using Debian, and HAVE BEEN using
Debian, and discussion of comparisons and alternatives seems to be
perfectly on topic.
Nobody has mentioned 'on-topic' or 'off-topic' but the continual
rabbiting on (sorry, Scott)
No offence taken, I was simply trying to help those with genuine
concerns (like Miles) and guide those with irrational fears on howto
express them without jamming the lists with FUD (which threatens to
discredit those with genuine concerns).

I'll stop that now.

becomes a trifle wearing after five+ months.
Agreed.

Using Debian isn't a reason to create a talking shop about every little
thing connected with it, especially when it is to the detriment of this
list.

Excitment about having a group of like-minded people to converse with at
modular-debian appears lacking.

One wonders why?

Desire for self-validation? Misery likes company?

Despite claims of "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch" and "being
bullied" - a small, vocal, minority persist in making demands of Debian
(bullying and tanstaafl hypocrisy?). As evidenced by those seeking help
on how to kill-list references to systemd, this results in debian users
not seeking support on this list, which reduces useful feedback to
developers amongst other problems - and lessens the chance of genuine
problems with systemd becoming the *default* getting a fair hearing.

Kind regards

--
"idealist zealots - those that would burn the planet to save their backyard"

I like your signature. Seems rather appropriate for the turn some discussion on this list have taken (not you!).

At least we're not discussing climate change, and dealing with a pile-on of "the science isn't in" astroturfers. (Ok, now I'll put on my fireproof underwear, hide in a closet, and do some of the work that people actually pay for for :-)

Cheers,

Miles