Re: the developers have spoken

Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 20/11/14 08:14, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Brian wrote:
On Wed 19 Nov 2014 at 12:41:45 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:

Jonathan Dowland wrote:
On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 03:25:24AM +1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
<snipped>

The vast majority on debian-user see this list as being for the support
of users who *use* Debian and not a talking shop about it. Encouragement
to pervert its purpose is little short of bad manners, no matter how
interesting a small number may find the topic. Please be considerate.

Ummm.... quite a few of us ARE using Debian, and HAVE BEEN using Debian,
and discussion of comparisons and alternatives seems to be perfectly on
topic.

[curious] Other than a possible exercise in self-validation - if, as
you've previously stated, *you have ceased using Debian* - why do you
continue posting to Debian user?

You must be thinking of someone else.

I've NEVER stated that I've ceased using Debian. I expect to be running Wheezy on our servers for quite some time to come, and watching closely to see:
- if LTS becomes available for Wheezy
- if building Jessie w/o the systemd ecosystem is viable, and remains so (for a start, if debootstrap ever gets patched for pre-seeding a sysvinit install), and whether systemd alternatives suffer bitrot - if Jessie w/ systemd becomes Debian's Vista, and folks (IMHO) come to their senses in time for the next major release

And meanwhile, I'll be:
- exploring other distros that have not bought off on systemd, and all that comes with it (and seeing how goes the Linux ecosystem in general)
- perhaps contributing to a server-oriented, systemd-less fork
- exploring BSDs and illumus distros in depth, particularly as regards support for high-availability clustering on commodity hardware - exploring ways to take our applications that currently run on a xen/drbd/pacemaker cluster, and refactor them to operate with application-layer HA (facilitating a move to a BSD or illumos environment)

As to why I remain on this list:
- I am a Debian users, and will remain one for some number of years
- Occasionally I need some support
- At other times, I'm able to offer some support
- I remain hopeful that the Debian developers come to their senses, and that all this Poettering-inspired brou hah hah blows over before Wheezy reaches end-of-life. And perhaps entertain some notion that my input might help bring this about.

Miles Fidelman