Re: simple, dumb question

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 22:10:04 +0100, Hans wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> just a simple question. No flamewar, no weighting!  At the moment I am
> running debian/jessie with systemd. And at the moment I am happy with
> it.

Good!

> It is nopt quite clear for me, but is the next debian/stable release
> planned in that way, that it will be possible to revert to sysinit, just
> by uninstalling all systemd packages without any pain?

Yes (and no). I am writing this from a Jessie box running sysvinit +
OpenRC. AIUI you won't actually have to remove any packages to use
sysvinit, just install sysvinit-core and systemd-shim. I have had to pin
the systemd package -1 to prevent it being reinstalled on upgrades or on
dist-upgrades, but I expect that when Jessie is Stable that you won't
need to do that.

If you want to run or to test a pid1 other than sysvinit or systemd, then
you might have trouble. Maybe some minit-on-Jessie users on the list
could provide input?

> As far as I read, this should be possible. However, I am personally not
> intend to do so, but I would like to know, just to have a plan B.

I don't guess we'll really know for sure until the day comes- but I'm
confident that it won't be a problem for those who want it.