Re: Embedded with systemd

On 17/11/14 21:14, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
>> This is a very onerous requirement in the embedded world. There are many
>> embedded platforms sold today that only have 2.6.X BSPs.
> But I highly doubt those devices have modern userlands.

Which is why we (emdebian users) have ditched the job of maintaining the hardware vendor's half-hearted OpenEmbedded build and switched to simply using Debian multistrap & friends in the first place, right? :-)

>> This change will probably hit me the hardest and for me it really cuts
>> into what linux means. It used to be that I could run the same userspace
>> on my tiny embedded device, my desktop or on the server --- the only
>> difference being the kernel.

I too posted on this topic recently. A lot of boards, from not-so-obscure vendors, not to mention silicon for that matter is still being sold and included into new systems today which can barely run kernel 3.4 let alone 3.7.

I (also) don't think systemd is a wrong choice for Debian, so please don't misread any perceived frustrations of mine as being "anti-systemd". I think the reality is that those of us stuck supporting systems trapped on old kernels are going to suffer for a number of years until these devices are (very slowly!) retired and replaced with solutions containing SoCs from vendors who have finally figured out a sustainable business model that somehow includes proper ongoing kernel support.

My plan is that if I find myself depending on packages which no longer work under sysvinit-core, I'll rebuild those packages for myself as needed (and share the results, if that's helpful): I have to do this already now anyway, for example to use build options which make more sense for a given target, or to make my own -nox (headless) versions of stuff that would otherwise drag in 200MiB+ of GTK/Qt dependencies.

> I find it unlikely that you'd be able to run Jessie on your desktop and
> Jessie on your device, at least, not without a little bit of work. I think

That's exactly what I do (and I assume other emdebian users too). Even if it took me a week or two to get my build scripts going, and a bit
more to tie it all into my CI and release management infrastructure it's still far more enjoyable, less error-prone and a lot less effort than
pushing a pile of rotting bitbake recipes uphill. xapt and dpkg-cross tools are truly fantastic (not to mention the rest of debian, like
debhelper). Especially for those of us maintaining packages which need to run in a bunch of different environments (not just embedded).

>> Embedded with systemd: systemd and realtime
>>
>> Given the existence of
>> (
>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/MyServiceCantGetRealtime/
>> ),
>> it seems that realtime and systemd is problematic. Has anyone tried the
>> workarounds mentioned with a PREEMPT_RT kernel? How did it go?

It is my intention to make the |ControlGroup=cpu:/| approach work; I have been maintaining a systemd rootfs for one of my targets but haven't quite found the time to investigate this fully.

Cheers

--
Paul