Re: [01/05] Embedded with systemd: systemd and SIL

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Robert <debembedded@gmail.com> wrote:
By choosing packages carefully, it is possible to use linux in
applications that need to meet SIL1 or SIL2 criteria [1].

No. At least this is my understanding of the situation today. SIL, or System Integrity Level, is something that needs to be certified by a third party and I don't believe that has ever been done for Debian. It is usually done for proprietary RTOSes like QNX.

I personally
don't have any applications that need to meet SIL2, but it is possible
to meet SIL1 by taking a normal installation and removing a bunch of
stuff (initramfs, udev and inetd amongst others) until the system is
deterministic enough (see the methodology in [2]). /sbin/init functions
OK with a few static devices in/dev

It is not enough. You need to demonstrate that you meet the SIL level you claim through certification.

Given the tight udev/systemd marriage and the undeterministic nature of
socket activation, I suspect that systemd will never be suitable for
SIL applications.

Are there any other debian embedded developers that need to meet SIL
criteria? How are you planning to manage the fact that there are very
few non-systemd distros left, or do we have to resign ourselves to a
life of OpenEmbedded and buildroot?

The two issues are orthogonal. Init processes don't really need to meet the SIL level since they're mostly a part of userland. OpenEmbedded is almost certainly not used by the current SIL certified OSes out there. There is however a project at OSADL which is planning to take a kernel and a very small userland, essentially Debian's net install as defined by debbootstrap. This work is being done in OSADL with the support of numerous companies since industries like the automotive industry find the current crop of SIL certified operating systems too inflexible to do many of the things they'd like to do on modern silicon. Look at the SIL2LinuxMP project for more: http://www.osadl.org/SIL2LinuxMP.sil2-linux-project.0.html

Regards,

Jeremiah

[1] http://www.reliableembeddedsystems.com/pdfs/2010_03_04_rt_linux.pdf
[2] http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr011.pdf