Re: moving LVM logical volumes to new disks

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 09:53:40PM +0100, lee wrote:
> Patrick Ouellette <pouelle@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 08:52:58PM +0100, lee wrote:
> >>
> >> Fortunately, downtime isn't an issue.  I also have a 32GB USB stick, and
> >> all the LVs are smaller than 32GB.
> >>
> >> Since there seems to be some agreement that it would be best to use
> >> pvmove, I think I could, one after the other, move all the LVs to the
> >> USB stick with pvmove, plug the USB stick into the other machine, move
> >> the LVs onto a hard disk in the other machine, replace disks and move
> >> the LVs back the same way.
> >>
> >> I can keep the VMs shut down while doing this, which allows me to just
> >> move the USB stick rather than moving over the network.  However, over
> >> the network might be more reliable, and I could move all VMs at once
> >> with minimal downtime.  Hmmm ...
> >>

> > Call me unimaganitive or simple, but what about tar or rsync??
> >
> > Just backup to the other host on the network; swap around drives
> > as needed; create new volume groups; restore from other host.
>
> Because it's too simple? ;)
>
> Why didn't I think of rsync?  I'm using it for backups all the time.
>
> How do I make the VMs bootable after copying them back?

Maybe try a SuperGrub Boot Disk (or USB drive) if you are using GRUB.

I would probably install on a minimal system on the new disks so they are
bootable, create the new volumes, rsync, move to the desired machine and
boot with the SuperGrub Boot Disk if the machine didn't just boot from the
drives on it's own.

Pat