Re: Powersaving with Xeon CPU (cpufreq)?

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014, mad wrote:
> I'm wondering if CPU frequency sclaing works with a Xeon E3-1220Lv2.

Yes.  But AFAIK the cpufreq backend kernel driver for that platform depends
on the motherboard's ACPI information to work.

i.e. make sure your UEFI/BIOS is up-to-date, and properly configured (it can
have configurable performance modes that limit the range of cpufreq...).

> does this CPU not "scale" and it has some other power saving methods?

It has other power saving methods, indeed.  They're called "idle states",
and they are managed either through acpi-idle (ACPI C-states) or directly
("intel-idle" driver).

How well either will work depends on the quality of your UEFI/BIOS, and in
the case of intel-idle, kernel version.

  Henrique Holschuh