Powersaving with Xeon CPU (cpufreq)?

Hi!

I'm wondering if CPU frequency sclaing works with a Xeon E3-1220Lv2.
With all my other Debian installations frequency scaling works out of
the box (not even cpufrequtils is installed), but not with the E3. Or
does this CPU not "scale" and it has some other power saving methods?
Web searches were not very informative and cpufreq-info only says:

# cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
  maximum transition latency: 4294.55 ms.
analyzing CPU 1:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
  maximum transition latency: 4294.55 ms.
analyzing CPU 2:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
  maximum transition latency: 4294.55 ms.
analyzing CPU 3:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
  maximum transition latency: 4294.55 ms.

I can load certain modules (speedstep-lib) and governors, but it still
doesn't work. I know from Scientific Linux that a (different) Xeon CPU
can scale. I also tried kernel 3.2 and 3.16.

Anyone already has experience with this CPU?

TIA
mad