Re: engineering management practices and systemd (Re: Installing an Alternative Init?)

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 11:37:14AM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Brian wrote:

> >>I challenge you to come up with a configuration that duplicates
> >>systemd's features with a combination of other software.
>
> That assumes that one needs or wants systemd's features.
>
> For some (many?) of us, systemd represents no gain, and significant
> operational impact (time required to deal with changes).

Well, maybe taking some of the time you used to send 71 mails over the course
of 15 days on this list could be invested into dealing with the changes.

It is not like Jessie will not come with others configuration breaking changes
( such as Apache 2.4, to name one ).

You say "significant operational impact", but all your mails seems to
imply that you are basing your analysis on absolutely no test. If you did things
right with your servers, you would just have to use your configuration management
system to spin a new server to test, either bare metal or a VM if you can't afford
a test machine, and see by yourself, and then, be precise in what is the problem.
( provided you use configuration management, but I would find baffling than any
serious sysadmin do not use one these days )

Cause if no one can reproduce the problem ( because you give no indication ) and
no one can find it ( because people test and have no issues ), it is not different
from having a problem that do not really exist, and insisting on it is then no different
than baseless trolling. You want to make a difference, so just do something useful.

--
l.