Re: Doubt about the release-fitness of a package (gfax)

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 08:39:57AM +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> I have hit a failure in my understanding of the freeze process and would be
> grateful if someone could explain it to me.
>
> If gfax in Sid is not fit for release, why does this have any effect on Jessie
> which is frozen, which I thought basically means that nothing new can come up
> from Sid?  This is what I have obviously got wrong.

If a bug was found in the version of gfax in sid, then that wouldn't impact
Jessie, if Jessie had a different version. However, Jessie and sid have the
same version of gfax. Therefore a release critical bug filed against gfax
version 0.7.7+ds-2 would result in the package being removed from jessie (if
it wasn't fixed, or marked jessie-ignore by the release team).

Once filed, the maintainers would need to upload a fixed package. In this case,
they should do so to sid. They can then request an 'unblock' from the release
team, who can manually guide it into jessie. The new package would have to have
very minimal changes from the old one, basically only fixing the RC bug and
not making other changes, in order to be acceptable to the release team.

--
Jonathan Dowland