Re: how to find the cause of restart of my debian 7 machine.

On 12/11/14 08:40 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
my machine was ON for several weeks but today it restarted for unknown reason. now it is working find. since the server is restarted there are too many log entries in var/log/messager and syslog as startup events. is there any easy way to reach the specific entry related to the event. i have search keywords like "error" and others in the log that i was expecting but failed.

Thanks,
Yousuf

The cause of an unexpected reboot may be difficult to ascertain. Clues may be found in the messages immediately prior to the shutdown, but not if the shutdown was hardware related.

For example, someone may have pressed the reset button or there may have been a power interruption. In both cases the machine would be working normally with nothing in the logs until you start seeing the startup messages.

On the other hand, if the machine rebooted for a software issue, you would expect to see shutdown message before the startup messages. In this case there may be log entries immediately prior to the shutdown messages.