Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

2014/11/12 3:09 "Didier &apos;OdyX&apos; Raboud" <odyx@debian.org>:

> Le mardi, 11 novembre 2014, 12.34:10 Miles Fidelman a écrit :
> > Laurent Bigonville wrote:
> > > There are no functional differences between an installation with
> > > sysvinit-core out of the box or an install where sysvinit-core is
> > > installed later, this is a fact.
> >
> > No, that's NOT a fact.  At least it's not a tested and demonstrated
> > fact for complex configurations such as virtualized environments with
> > complicated file system wiring.
>
> Laurent has put up a claim with which you disagree out of guessing,
> without putting up any demonstrable or testable counter-proof yourself.
>
> > (…)
> > I'm not particularly interested in testing how well install/replace
> > systemd and its dependencies works in our environment (both hypervisor
> > level or guest debootstrapped guest domain).
>
> If I rephrase what you're saying, you're basically expecting others to
> make sure your environment still works as you see fit across the wheezy-
> to-jessie upgrade, right?
>
> That's really too bad, because you're exactly the one best person to
> detect problems, write constructive bug reports or provide patches (or
> wording suggestions) for the upgrade notes to make sure your environment
> will work as you see fit after the upgrade to Jessie (be it for dist-
> upgrades or new installations, by the way).
>
> If you are not doing the work needed, why would others?

Where do you opendesktop.org types get off demanding that we do the work of tending your baby?

> You seem to be
> projecting very high expectations onto the Debian project and its
> volunteers,

Uhm, no, the primary cause of the current excessive churn in Debian (and not just Debian) is the new init system, not the people who don't want to participate in that churn.

(And I'll point out again, we all have churn of our own we are trying to deal with. I suppose some of that churn might eventually get fixed by a "proper" init system, but not for all of us. The emergencies I'm dealing with have zero or less to do with anything systemd can ever do. You guys really are not helping.)

> without acknowledging the fact that you're getting this work
> exactly for free,

Which is the price you guys want for debugging your baby.

> which I think is unfair (but that's probably just me).

Fair, schmair. Bill Gates got on his high horse back about fourteen years and complained to the American public that all the court decisions were interfering with his freedom to innovate. NO FAIR! he said.

We weren't impressed because he was interfering with our freedom to innovate, and worse.

It's the same thing. You think you have something wonderful and we aren't buying it. You're insistance that we should do work when we don't have the resources to allocate to it is not helping.

--
Joel Rees