Re: forks, derivatives, other distros - what are you thinking/doing

Le Mon, 10 Nov 2014 13:16:09 +0100,
berenger.morel@neutralite.org a écrit :

> Le 09.11.2014 05:05, Hendrik Boom a écrit :
> > On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 09:32:57 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> >> 1. What are your issues, reasons for doing so - general and/or
> >> specific?
> >
> > I've had trouble with passwords in the network-manager starting a
> > few months ago.  I tried a few other wifi connectivity tools, and
> > ended up
> > with wicd.  What was different about wicd was that (i) it worked,
> > and (ii) it was independent of systemd.  I don't know whether the
> > introduction of expansion of systemd had anything to do with my
> > problems.
>
> This might be a policykit-related issue. AFAIK, policykit has been
> deprecated in favor of systemd-login0.
>  From what you describe, it seems the migration from policykit to
> systemd-login0 (which is not systemd itself, but only a module. I
> hope I'm not wrong here, since I do not really understand the
> language used in systemd-world).

Not exactly, polkit is still used by DE, but it now uses logind
(instead of ConsoleKit) to track the users.

You need to be sure that you have a logind session registered (see
loginctl). If the session is not present, you need to check if
pam_systemd.so is called in the PAM configuration (/etc/pam.d).

> > I've started to have trouble mounting the NTFS partition on my
> > machine
> > from Linux.  No problem doing this in Windows, of course.  I used
> > to be
> > able to mount it from the file manager after entering the root
> > password.  Starting a month or so ago, the file manager would
> > tantalizingly show me the partition but refuse to let me mount it
> > because
> > I didn't have the proveleges.  Finally, it stopped even showing me
> > that
> > partition.  Of course I cann still log in as root and mount it from
> > the
> > command line, copy any files from it, and chown them to myself.
> > But it
> > is unnecessarily awkward.  I understand systemd had involved itselg
> > with
> > permissions.  Could this be relevant?  I have the same problem with
> > usb
> > sticks -- having to be root to use them.  Again, I have no idea
> > whether
> > the architecture changes caused by systemd has any relevance to
> > this, but
> > the general level of paranoia that is starting to exist makes me
> > suspicious, perhaps unjustly.
>
> This could be udev-related. Udev is the part of the system which
> fills /dev.
> It does this at boot, and while your computer run.
>
> The current man-page says that, "the udev daemon,
> systemd-udevd.service(8), receives device uevents directly from the
> kernel whenever a device is added or removed from the system, or it
> changes its state".
> You can build rules in /etc/udev, which could eventually allow you to
> fix your problem by yourself. I can't really help you about how to
> write the rule, since I have never tried to build some myself.
> Why things have stopped working, is a good question: maybe a change
> in /dev/disk/by-uuid? Does things works anew if you create a user to
> login with (and so, with a clear $HOME)?
>
> It seems that your problems seems to not be systemd-related, since
> systemd is only the PID1 process' stuff. They are only related to
> things which are parts of the systemd...hum... sorry, softwares which
> shares the same source-code repository that systemd uses.
> Yeah, some irony here, indeed. I won't argue about the fact that
> udev/login0 are or are not parts of systemd. I do not mind, in facts.

IMHO the lack of permissions on a device could also be related to the
lack of a logind session.