Re: network card bridging failing on wheezy

On 09/11/14 05:09 AM, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
Hi

On Sat, Nov 08, 2014 at 05:57:41PM -0500, Gary Dale wrote:
For some reason my network card bridging has failed after working
properly for many years.

My /etc/network/interfaces is:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet manual
auto br0
iface br0 inet static
         address 192.168.1.14
         netmask 255.255.255.0
         broadcast 192.168.1.255
         gateway 192.168.1.1
         bridge_ports eth0
         bridge_stp off
         bridge_fd 0
         bridge_maxwait 0

 From a fresh boot, I get nothing running. If I bring up br0
(ifconfig br0 up), it comes up with 192.168.122.1 whether I do it
with eth0 up or down. Bringing up eth0 seems to produce the correct
results - a network interface with no IP, same as it always did.

Bringing up br0 with the 192.168.1.14 address leaves me with a
machine that can't connect or be connected to. However, if I drop
br0 and bring up eth0 with the address, things work, apart from the
lack of a gateway.

I can manually add a default gateway to the route. While this works,
running the route command takes a long time to come back with the
results. However my computer now connects and can be connected to.
Hm.. I don't see "auto eth0" anywhere....

auto eth0 would be incompatible with "manual".