Re: Preset freeze and release dates - was Re: Joey Hess is out?

On Du, 09 nov 14, 03:17:59, Bret Busby wrote:

> I do not know what version number was sarge, but, from memory,
> regarding Debian Linux 3 and 3.1, people complained and joked about
> the long time between releases, and how at that time, it was a "It
> will happen when it happens, maybe in a year, maybe in two years" kind
> of thing, but, those were what I would regard as the last stable
> versions of Debian Linux. Since then, it seems to have gone the way of
> MS Windows; "Release date is coming, so we will release it then, ready
> or not", and so, each release since 3.1, has seemed to be simply a new
> testing version.

Only the freeze date is fixed, not the release date.

> And then, we have the policies of the package developers, who
> sometimes do not fix found bugs in versions of the packages that are
> available for the "stable" version of Debian Linux, but, fix the bugs,
> for the version of the package that will be made available for the
> next "stable" release of Debian Linux. That is one of the reasons that
> I gave up on Ekiga - problems were found, in trying to get it working,
> but, we were advised that "the bugs have been found and dealt with,
> and the fixes will be available for the version that will come with
> the next release of Debian Linux; the next "stable" version of Debian
> Linux, but not for the then current "stable" version of Debian Linux,
> so no prospect of getting Ekiga working for the then "stable" version
> of Debian Linux, existed. So, we simply had to give up on some of the
> applications that came with Debian Linux, as the application
> developers determined that no need existed, to have a working version
> in the "stable" version of Debian Linux.

'stable' should not change, as much as possible. Even bugs will not be
fixed unless they are serious and the fix is not too intrusive (because
'stable' should not change).

Kind regards,
Andrei