Re: Debian 6.2 and Systemd ?

Le 05.11.2014 13:23, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI a écrit :
On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 11:49:57 +0000
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> > When I install, I set up partitions with labels.  This avoids UUIDs and
> > uses labels instead.

> Many thanks; for setting the partitions with labels, is that an option in
> the install ? (Remember, I am new to Debian  ;-3)

Yes. You need to go for manual partitioning. But that is worth doing anyway.

Yes, given that I have for a long time used separate partitions for
/boot, /var, and /home.

But I doubt that Debian installer will use those labels. Last time I checked, (current stable) it still used UUID in configuration files, even with LABELS defined by installer.

But it's not that hard to fix this issue, there are not so many files dealing with partitions.
I only know about /etc/lilo.conf (since I do not use grub) and fstab.
Vim'em and you'll be done :)

Then one of the options is setting a label.
I don't know for sure that you cannot set a label via automatic partitioning.
I just don't know that you can.

I wonder how could an automatic labeling works. What if you have conflicting labels because of an external device is plugged in?

if you have already installed Debian with Gnome.
Applications -> Accessories -> Disk Utility
You can set the partitions labels.

Thanks, but having dropped Mageia so I could get rid of the KDE
bloat, I'm not inclined to get into the Gnome bloat; and even more so
when I read that Gnome will make systemd a dependency...

There is gparted, which is located in gnome's part of aptitude tree, but trust me, this tool is neither bloated nor gnome-centric. You don't even have to install sudo or any variant. If you don't (as I) you simply need to run it as root, after a su.

About the gnome's systemd dependency... well, AFAIK, gentoo managed to get rid of it, so it's still not that bad.