Re: forks, derivatives, other distros - what are you thinking/doing

Le 06.11.2014 00:40, Nuno Magalhães a écrit :
A sane approach
would be to improve the bits that neet improving, like the (sadly
named) uselessd, openrc, etc.

Just a note, here. Uselessd is a well-named systemd's fork. Well named, because it does less that systemd. And it does have the systemd's approach, restarting things from the same point of view of systemd. The only, but MAJOR difference, is that they know where they'll stop adding features.
Unlike systemD.

I dislike systemd, now what? I'm left with no system.

Technically, you still are able to install systemV instead of it.
In practice, you will have systemV with systemd's behavior, and that's the main reason for me at looking somewhere else, and depending on the tools you usually install, you might end with a huge list of systemd's "modules" on your system.

And the impact it'll have on all the Debian-based distros?

Simple.
They'll follow Debian, because if they took Debian as a base, it's probably because they are not able or do not want to do the immense and valuable work Debian does by themselves.