Re: Perfect Jessie is something like this...

Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 05/11/14 14:00, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 05/11/14 12:28, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
Le mardi, 4 novembre 2014, 17.13:05 Miles Fidelman a écrit :
Personally, the more this drags on, the more I'm convinced
that those of us who deploy and manage servers would really
benefit from a fork that retains the "flavor" and philosophy
of pre-systemd (and maybe pre-udev) Debian.
As JS posted - it's likely that the majority of us sit somewhere
in between the two extremes (Conservative Fundamentalists and
Cutting Edge Advocates).

Just. Do. It.

It might even be successful! We'll be in a better world with a
new distro out there satisfying needs not satisfied anymore by
Debian!
I'd have to agree with another poster - it's logistically more
likely to succeed[*1] (and be less divisive) if it was a Debian
derivative.
Isn't that a rather fine distinction?
No.

There's a *huge* difference between repackaging a small selection of
packages, around a small number of architectures aimed at a small range
of uses, and forking Debian.

Could you expand on why, as you infer, that is not such a "fine
distinction" - or are you "all froth and no beer"?

Enough with the insults and superior attitude (I'll match creds with you any day of the week).

How is a fork all that different than a derivative?
Having proposed that it's "a fine distinction" it would be more
appropriate to answer your own question and support your earlier claim -
don't you think?

It's just that I've never heard a clear distinction between the two. Ubuntu is often described as "Debian-based" (e.g., at Wikipedia) - is it a "fork" or a "derivative?" Fork has a clear meaning when talking about a piece of application code. It's a lot less clear when we're talking systems that share a lot of underlying code (like a packaging system and the ability to pull from each others' repositories).

If you want to play definitional games, you tell me:
- same packaging system
- same upstreams
- possibly pull from the Debian repository - though it's pretty clear that we'd have to rejigger some, maybe a lot of dependencies information (at least re. package priorities)

Is that a fork or a derivative. I don't know. And I'm not sure it makes a difference.

What would make a difference would be an entirely new distro - different packaging system, different repo, different installer, and so forth.

[*1] I haven't noticed anyone volunteering to do the work - as
opposed to "organizing" others.
Well, that's the point of the discussion
Clearly unrelated from that which you are responding to.

  - to suss out who's willing
and able to do the work.
Are you willing to do any of the work?

Depends on who else is interested. Given that you seem to have no interest other than throwing rocks - what's it to you?

Miles Fidelman