Re: Suggestion for systemd and /usr on seperate partition

On Thursday 30 October 2014 15:35:53 Peter Nieman wrote:
> On 30/10/14 11:35, David Baron wrote:
> > I think this problem should be resolved. I know the newer desirable
> > keeping of /usr on /. However, I would bet 99% of existing
> > multi-partition Debian installations have usr on a separate partition.
> > Historically and even recent installations (not that I like the
> > partitioning done by the installer, but ....) I may move mine soon once I
> > resolve some disk hardware issues but I should not have to do this just
> > to get rid of a superfluous "fail" message and switch to verbose mode.
>
> When I installed Squeeze on a new PC three years ago I blindly followed
> the installer's partitioning advice since I thought the Debian
> developers would certainly know better than me. One Debian version later
> I found out that my root partition had probably been created much too
> small because it couldn't even hold two different kernels. Another
> Debian version later, a young man, Mr. Poettering, tells the Debian
> developers that the partitioning scheme they always recommended was
> "broken". I guess I can now look forward to learning whether an upgrade
> to Jessie - should I ever attempt one and not go back to Slackware or
> try another OS out of desperation - will fail due to lack of disk space
> or lack of compatibility with existing partitioning schemes. OMG.

I already moved my / partition once to be able to have more than one kernel.
I have opt bound to a folder on my huge home.
I have usr/local similarly bound because usr is also on the small side.
/var is too small as well but so far operational.

So that partitioning scheme is .... (I do not use such language).
So let's have newer installers do it right, also with /usr.
Meanwhile I need to do something about the mess the installer gave me.