Re: Canoscan Lide 210 Scanner

On 10/30/2014 3:16 AM, Johann Spies wrote:
> This is not Debian specific, but as I experienced it on Debian and
> initially thought that it might be a Debian problem, it may help some
> other users.
>
> I recently bought the scanner specified in the subject line after
> reading that the saned team claims it has "complete"  support. I first
> tried it out on my Desktop which has something like 8 usb2 ports.  I had
> limited success and was frustrated.  Then I took it to work and tested
> it with my work laptop with 4 usb2 ports and it worked without a problem.
>
> At home I tested it on my other Debian laptop which have two usb3-ports
> and two usb2 ports.  On the USB-3 port I experienced the same problems I
> had on my Desktop.  Moving the connection to a usb2-port everything
> worked as expected.
>
> My thought on this is that on the Desktop there was not enough power
> coming through the usb-port and on the usb3-port there the power was too
> much.
>
> This scanner only works with the electricity it gets through the
> usb-connection.
>
> Regards
> Johann
>
> --
> Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
> my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)

There is no such thing as "too much" power, as long as the voltage is
the same.  The scanner will only draw what it needs at a particular
voltage.  As long as the source provides sufficient power, it should work.

"Too much power" would be like plugging your TV into a 15 amp circuit
and it works fine.  But plugging it into a 20 amp circuit (more power
available) would cause it not to work.  It doesn't happen.

Jerry