Re: Installing Debian in Xen VM no /dev/xvda

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 01:00:09PM -0600, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to install Debian remotely in a virtual machine. During
> installation, there is no /dev/xvda but only /dev/xvda1 and
> /dev/xvda2. Before installing Debian remotely, the system has a
> GNU/Linux image in which the former block device contains a
> filesystem with no swap, and the later is for swap. During
> installation, the Debian installer inconsistently recognized
> /dev/xvda1 as a partition and then as a whole disk.

It sounds like there might be some bugs in d-i here.

> I intend to install LVM here. In the section “formatting disks”, /dev/xvda1
> is handled as a partition, and there is no option to use it as a PV for LVM.

What options are there?

> I tried to manually perform partitioning

In your situation I'd avoid partitions entirely and format both xvda1 and xvda2
as LVM PVs.

> I have also tried to create a LVM physical volume with no
> partitions, This fails in the step “Installing GRUB”. How can I
> install Debian with LVM over this pathological setup?.

Does your VM rely on grub to boot? Most VPS providers appear to boot the VMs
with an external kernel and initrd. If yours is the same, you could skip
bootloader entirely.

--
Jonathan Dowland