Installing Debian in Xen VM no /dev/xvda

Hello.

I'm trying to install Debian remotely in a virtual machine. During installation, there is no /dev/xvda but only /dev/xvda1 and /dev/xvda2. Before installing Debian remotely, the system has a GNU/Linux image in which the former block device contains a filesystem with no swap, and the later is for swap. During installation, the Debian installer inconsistently recognized /dev/xvda1 as a partition and then as a whole disk.

I intend to install LVM here. In the section “formatting disks”, /dev/xvda1 is handled as a partition, and there is no option to use it as a PV for LVM. I tried to manually perform partitioning by first DD'ing the first 4 MiB, then using cfdisk, but I get this error message just after using “w” to write the partition table and quit fdisk:

  The partition table has been altered!

  Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.

WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 22: Invalid argument.
  The kernel still uses the old table. The new table will be used at
  the next reboot or after you run partprobe(8) or kpartx(8)
  Syncing disks.

And no /dev/xvda1p1 or similar is created. There is neiter “partprobe” nor “kpartx” in the Debian installation image (It's a custom netboot loaded from GRUB rather than through PXE as described in <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Remote>, with some additional tinkering).

I have also tried to create a LVM physical volume with no partitions, This fails in the step “Installing GRUB”. How can I install Debian with LVM over this pathological setup?.

Regards and thanks in advance.