Re: bc menu files? (Re: Perfect Jessie is something like this...)

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 9:02 PM, Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de> wrote:
> Am 29.10.2014 12:35, schrieb Joel Rees:
>> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 9:53 PM, Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Quite a few packages ship Debian menu files and/or freedesktop.org
>>> .desktop files for the inclusion in menus. For example, bc installs a
>>> Debian menu file.
>>
>> No kidding?
>>
>> (Looking in my menus and not seeing anything bc-ish.)
>>
>> What menus should I be looking in?
>
> root@jessie1:~# dpkg -L bc | grep menu
> /usr/share/menu
> /usr/share/menu/bc
> root@jessie1:~# cat /usr/share/menu/bc
> ?package(bc):needs="text" section="Applications/Science/Mathematics"
> title="Bc" hints="Calculators" command="/usr/bin/bc"

And that tells me exactly zip about why bc doesn't show up in my XFCE4
menus. (I mean the pointy-clicky ones.)

I suppose I should try booting non-gui and starting up a desktopless
window manager to see if I can get those menus in one of those?

Not that I'm interested in running bc from the menu. What I'm really
interested in is a way not to lose track of all those cool hex editors
and network analyzers that I've installed and forgotten about.

> Taken from a current Jessie VM, bc version 1.06.95-9.

Non-vm Wheezy, FWIW. The bc entry in the debian menu declaration does
not seem to have changed.

> See: <https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu.html/>

Great. Next time I create a package, I'll know where to look for
instructions for setting up menu entries. (No sarcasm intended. I'm
likely to need that within a year, one way or another.)

Which, I must suppose, seeing things as they are, will have a certain
probability of being ignored. But that's okay. The package I will
likely be putting together doesn't really want a gui for most of its
potential users. (All five or so of them. Heh.)

> See also current TC bug about Debian menu system vs. freedesktop.org
> .desktop files, <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=741573>

Okay, that gives me the background. Read something about menu-xdg and
about exmenen, but I still can't tell how I can get the menu where bc,
et. al., should be to show up in my actual menus. (Either exmenen
needs something more in the extra menus directories, or I can't figure
out the parameters, or it's not the wookie I'm looking for.)

Thanks anyway. If you have any more suggestions, I'm all ears. There's
something there I just haven't been able to find yet.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself.