Re: bc menu files? (Re: Perfect Jessie is something like this...)

Am 2014-10-29 15:42, schrieb Joel Rees:
And that tells me exactly zip about why bc doesn't show up in my XFCE4
menus. (I mean the pointy-clicky ones.)

I suspect XFCE4, like most DEs available, only parses XDG .desktop
files, and doesn't parse Debian's menu system. If you read through the
TC bug, you'll see that the current situation is complicated[tm].

I suppose I should try booting non-gui and starting up a desktopless
window manager to see if I can get those menus in one of those?

Probably, I haven't tried.

Not that I'm interested in running bc from the menu. What I'm really
interested in is a way not to lose track of all those cool hex editors
and network analyzers that I've installed and forgotten about.

apt-get install pdmenu

Doesn't even need X11, has next to no dependencies. You could even
install it on a server without loosing your 'real server admins[tm]
don't use GUIs' credentials. ;-)

Christian