Re: Can not play CDs

Easily solvable - read on. :)

On 29/10/14 06:51, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 October 2014 19:27:56 Steve Greig wrote:
>> Thanks Scott and Gary.
>>
>> The problem is now largely sorted out as I have got VLC media player
>> to play audio cds now by opening it and asking it to play the cd in
>> the cd drive as Gary suggested. I have also discovered how to make VLC
>> display the tracks on the cd. Still if I go to dolphin it lists the
>> audio cd on the left but it does not respond in any way if you click
>> on it so you cant see the individual tracks on the cd.

>> I have found
>> that if I put a cd of photos in the drive then the name of the cd
>> appears on the left and when I click on that the individual photo
>> files appear. So it is looking like I can do most of what I would like
>> to which is great.

That's not related to the original problem.
Audio CDs have no filesystem.
Data CDs, like the one with your pictures on it do (iso9660).

>> I did try to do the install that Scott suggested as it would be nice
>> to have the audio tracks listed from within Dolphin although not
>> essential.

Playing CDs, and being able to view the virtual file system on an audio
CD in Dolphin, are two distinctly different things.

To view the virtual filesystem in Dolphin you *need*
kdemultimedia-kio-plugins installed.

>> It seems not to have worked. The following is the response
>> I got:
>>
>> steve@debian:~$ su
>> Password:
>> root@debian:/home/steve# apt-get -y install kdemultimedia-kio-plugins
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Suggested packages:
>>   lame
>> The following NEW packages wl be installed:
>>   kdemultimedia-kio-plugins
>> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 81 not upgraded.
>> Need to get 128 kB of archives.
>> After this operation, 466 kB of additional disk space will be used.
>> WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
>>   kdemultimedia-kio-plugins

This error is the result of *not* having installed the keys that allow
apt to check the authenticity of downloaded packages. You /could/ force
the over-riding of the authenticity check but it's strongly recommended
*not* to.

You likely debian-archive-keyring package installed. You can check with:-
dpkg --get-selections | grep debian-archive-keyring

If you get nothing from the above command you'll need to install it or
you will *not* be able to *securely* install *any* debian packages.
There are two ways of doing that:-

Easiest, least secure (as root):-
apt-get --force-yes install debian-archive-keyring

Better:-
1. Open the following link in your web browser:-
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=debian-keyring&searchon=names&exact=1&suite=all&section=main

2. Follow the link matching the Debian release you have installed[*1]
(you don't tell us) and download that package:-
e.g. if you run wheezy, follow that link:-
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/all/debian-keyring/download
to the mirrors page for that packages:-
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/all/debian-keyring/download
and choose the nearest mirror nearest your location.

3. Download the appropriate package for your Debian release

4. Install the debian-archive-keyring. As root:-
dpkg -i debian-keyring_*_all.deb

Regardless of which method you use, you should now be able to install
kdemultimedia-kio-plugins without a security warning. You'll then be
able to view the virtual CD audio filesystem.

*Important*
Not having the keyring installed may have caused you to miss updates.
After installing the keyring as root:-

1. Update the package database:-
apt-get update

2. Check for updates (but don't install them - yet[*2]):-
apt-get -s upgrade | more

3. Page through (by pressing the space bar) what will happen if you
upgrade your packages. If nothing you care about is going to be removed
- proceed with the upgrade:-
apt-get -y upgrade

[*1] If you don't know what release you have installed, run the
following as a normal user:-
lsb_release -sc

[*2] As you didn't have debian-keyring installed it's possible you have
other problems. If you'd like help checking your sources.list run the
following as a normal user and post the output:-
cat /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}|grep '^[^$\|^#\|^\s*\#]'

>> E: There are problems and -y was used without --force-yes
>> root@debian:/home/steve#t would be nice to have a list of tracks on
>> the cd but maybe not essential.

Follow the above instructions and you *will* have that ability. :)

>> Thanks again to you both for your help. I am pretty happy with the
>> situation now but open to any more suggestions or comments. Best
>> wishes Steve

> Looks like your CD is still in /etc/apt/sources.list - but that is no problem
> relating to your Audio-CD trouble.

Agreed on both points.

<snipped>

How audio CDs display in Dolphin:-