Re: Can not play CDs

On 28/10/14 03:01 AM, Steve Greig wrote:
If I put a CD into my computer it appears in Dolphin on the left hand side where it sais 'Audio CD'. However if I click on this the contents do not appear in the main window of Dolphin. Also I cant play the CD or find any other way of accessing it. This applies to other CDs not just Audio. In the past I have accessed CDs without problems on this same computer.

It may be relevant that I often get an error message something like 'apt update cant access CD drive' (I cant remember the exact wording).

Any help would be very much appreciated. Steve

It's possible that the device has failed. Optical devices do go bad from time to time.

Another problem could be that /dev link to the optical drive is missing or doesn't point to the correct device.

What happens if you open a media player and tell it to play an audio CD?