Re: Can not play CDs

Thanks Scott and Gary.

The problem is now largely sorted out as I have got VLC media player
to play audio cds now by opening it and asking it to play the cd in
the cd drive as Gary suggested. I have also discovered how to make VLC
display the tracks on the cd. Still if I go to dolphin it lists the
audio cd on the left but it does not respond in any way if you click
on it so you cant see the individual tracks on the cd. I have found
that if I put a cd of photos in the drive then the name of the cd
appears on the left and when I click on that the individual photo
files appear. So it is looking like I can do most of what I would like
to which is great.

I did try to do the install that Scott suggested as it would be nice
to have the audio tracks listed from within Dolphin although not
essential. It seems not to have worked. The following is the response
I got:

steve@debian:~$ su
Password:
root@debian:/home/steve# apt-get -y install kdemultimedia-kio-plugins
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
  lame
The following NEW packages wl be installed:
  kdemultimedia-kio-plugins
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 81 not upgraded.
Need to get 128 kB of archives.
After this operation, 466 kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  kdemultimedia-kio-plugins
E: There are problems and -y was used without --force-yes
root@debian:/home/steve#t would be nice to have a list of tracks on
the cd but maybe not essential.

Thanks again to you both for your help. I am pretty happy with the
situation now but open to any more suggestions or comments. Best
wishes Steve