Re: Jessie: Weekly or Beta?

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM, softwatt <softwatt@gmx.com> wrote:
> I am interesting in using Jessie.
> The Debian page at https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
> presents me with 4 ISO's: Beta 1, Beta 2, Weekly, Daily.
>
> When it comes to stability, which one is the best?

If you're concerned about stability, you may be best off sticking with
the official releases.  If you want to try it out, the latest named
beta release is probably the next best.  You should only use the
snapshot releases if you're confident you can fix any problems you may
encounter.  (Probably the same applies to the beta releases as well.)

> Also, a sub question: the following line confuses me: "Installing with
> the Debian-Installer". I am assuming the "installer" is the bootable ISO
> file. The title seems to imply there are other ways to install Debian.
> are there?

Sure.  There are things like debootstrap which don't use the installer.

https://wiki.debian.org/Debootstrap

Eric