Re: Question re: updating debain stable kernels...

Brian a écrit :
> On Sat 25 Oct 2014 at 12:24:52 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
>
>> Is the system in some kind of fragile limbo that means I need to reboot
>> asap?
>
> Nothing fragile. No limbo. The running kernel is (as I understand it) in
> memory and still being used by the OS. The new kernel is waiting in the
> wings but has nothing to do and has dozed off.

Err... what about kernel modules ?
Stable kernel updates should not change the kernel ABI, so the new
modules should be compatible with the running kernel image and its
already loaded modules, but... not always. ABI changes should require a
bump in the kernel package name (e.g. 3.2.0-3 to 3.2.0-4) but In the
recent past (squeeze and wheezy), I have seen at least two stable kernel
updates which changed the ABI without changing the version in the kernel
package name and resulted in some new modules not being compatible with
the previous kernel image or modules.