Re: Question re: updating debain stable kernels...

Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:
> On 10/25/2014 11:35 AM, Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:

>> You can install apt-listchanges to get an output of the most recent
>> changelogs of a package and then decide for yourself if you need to
>> reboot.
>>
>> Or you can install the needrestart package (from Jessie, should
>> install cleanly on Wheezy) and get a notification that way.

> Which still doesn't answer the question.

> I ran apt-get update, then apt-get upgrade.

> The kernel image was updated.

> Is the system in some kind of fragile limbo that means I need to
> reboot asap?

No, no worries. The system if kernel packages is designed in a way which
will never leave you in a state where anything is in a fragile limbo.

> Or is everything fine, but the next time I reboot, I'll automatically
> be on the new kernel?

Correct.

To decide if you need to reboot, just read the changelog and see if any
feature you are using has been changed.

If, for example, there are only changes to drives of hardware you don't
have and filesystems you don't use, then there is no need to reboot
right now.

But if there is a general security fix, a reboot quite soon is not a bad
idea.

Grüße,
S°

--