Re: Problem with systemd-sleep in Jessie

On 10/23/2014 11:19 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

> To the OP: Stack. THANK YOU for starting an intelligent systemd Q&A.

I have voiced my systemd concerns before. At this time, I am simply
tying to figure out what is wrong with my laptop. Should systemd be the
default/only init system when Jessie releases, I would rather have all
these weird quirks fixed /before/ the release. Thus, I am trying to
learn about systemd and understand what is going on vs starting yet
another flamewar (there is enough of those at the moment...I really
don't want to add another).

> One feature I read about is that systemd will shut down under various
> conditions that would also prevent exhausting the battery on a
> laptop.

A good thought. The battery on this 8yr old laptop is long dead. I only
keep it in the laptop because it balances the weight (and there is an
awkward gap in the back without it). A new battery for this laptop is
90$. Not worth it for this laptop. In any case, I removed the battery
and I still have the issue.

> I don't suppose there is anyway to install fresh to get rid of old
> cruft??

I am sure I could, but it isn't easy as this laptop doesn't support USB
boot and the CD-ROM is long dead too. I have to PXE boot the network
image for the Debian install...

Besides, I would rather see if I can find what is wrong vs just blowing
it away and potentially losing whatever caused the problem. If I lose
that, then we can't file a bug report to have it fixed which in turn
means others might have this same issue in the future. If at all
possible, I would like to find a proper fix.

> I'm of no help as I am just starting to learn it, but I am learning
> from your experience, so that you again. <bows deeply> Ric

I'm learning too. :-)

Thanks for the input.