Re: [exim4] Testing and making sense of smtp output

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> [I may be misunderstanding how your mail system works but your Date:
> header doesn't look right]
>

> On Sun 19 Oct 2014 at 00:53:44 +0200, lee wrote:
>
>> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

>> > No. It's because there is no connection between /etc/mailname and
>> > primary_hostname.
>>
>> Then how does it happen that Debian manages to configure exim in such a
>> way that the contents of /etc/mailname are being used instead of the
>> hostname?  Is that another option exim has, and if so, how's it called?
>
> The contents of mailname are not used for the HELO.
>
> If /etc/mailname exists exim will not touch it when it is installed. If
> it does not exist it makes the assumption that canonical_hostname in the
> hosts file is correct and uses that as the mailname. The installation is
> at priority low or medium (I forget which) and no questions are asked.
>
> Suppose the hosts file has
>
>    127.0.1.1	debian.lan	debian

You mean it will rewrite <user@debian.lan> to <user@example.com> when
/etc/mailname is set to 'example.com'?

> primary_hostname is used as the HELO but Debian doesn't set it.

That's what I said?

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.