Re: version field when submit to BTS

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 04:35:33AM +0000, lumin wrote:
> but I wonder if I can fill in the "Version:"
> field directly with git commit number such as
> ""78a6aac2559648d1a0e0b4926e23aed67d8b81fb".
>
> if so, it can be more convenient, when sending a patch to maintainers.
> (instead of seeking for a version tag on git.debian.org)

The version-tracking features of the BTS are designed to identify which Debian
packages are affected by the bug, and which are not. It only works if you put
Debian package version into the field.

If you are working in git and aren't sure which debian package version
corresponds to your current commit, try using 'git-describe', it might
help.