Re: version field when submit to BTS

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014, lumin wrote:
> This is a question about debian bug tracking system.
> In order to use the BTS properly, I have read this page:
> https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
> but I wonder if I can fill in the "Version:"
> field directly with git commit number such as
> ""78a6aac2559648d1a0e0b4926e23aed67d8b81fb".

No.

The BTS looks at the versions *as written in the debian/changelog files*
inside the packages.

So you really must use the versions as shown by packages.debian.org (or
tracker.debian.org).  In particular, if the version as an "epoch" (such as
1:2.6.4-3), the epoch *must* be included as well.

> if so, it can be more convenient, when sending a patch to maintainers.
> (instead of seeking for a version tag on git.debian.org)

That's not what the versioning in the BTS is about.  It is used to filter
which bugs are active for which "branch" of Debian (stable, unstable, etc).

  Henrique Holschuh